Skin Terror: An Anti Aging Ounce of Prevention
Want to prevent Skin Terror? For years scientific data have shown that the sun and environment ruin skin. The skin is the largest organ of the body and its architectural structure and acidic pH help protect the body from environmental damage and insults that include ultraviolet rays, carbon dioxide, noxious gases, and environmental air particles. Their damaging effects are well documented. The environmental attack not only impacts a person’s health but also causes significant damage and aging to the skin.
Of particular concern are the sun’s ultraviolet rays, tobacco smoke, and air pollutants damaging the outer layer of the skin and its lipid bilayer. These toxins create inflammation and reactive oxygen species (free radicals) which damage cellular proteins and DNA. As a result, daily broad-spectrum sunscreen use is essential. However, it is not the entire solution. It is important to neutralize free radicals that are created by environmental damage.
Skin Terror Prevention begins with a consistent daily regimen using an effective cleanser to remove dead skin cells, dirt, oil, bacteria, and environmental pollutants on the skin. Daily use of an effective cleanser also helps restore the normal acidic pH of the skin.
- Our Reparative Cleanser or Rejuvenating Cleanser not only cleans but also maintains the normal acidic skin pH that enhances the benefit of cosmeceutical products in the regimen.
- After cleansing, apply topical antioxidants, such as L-ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) which is the most important water-soluble antioxidant in the skin. Our Age Defense Antioxidant Serum C provides the highest L-ascorbic acid concentration (20%) with a pH of 2.6 to provide the best clinical benefit confirmed by scientific studies.
- A glycoprotein like Hydrating HA Serum (Hyaluronic Acid) restores critical molecules to repair the barrier function & moisture content of the skin. Repair the skin’s peptide and lipid barrier with Rejuvenating Protein Moisturizer, featuring multiple small peptides.
- Essential Lipid Hydrator rebuilds the skin's protective lipid bilayer.
- Facial Moisturizer SPF 50 with micronized zinc oxide and three other FDA-approved sunscreen ingredients deliver broad-spectrum protection from both UVA & UVB sun rays while providing skin hydration.
Environmental damage does not stop with clouds or bad weather, nor should one’s skincare regimen take a day off. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
In addition to the products mentioned above, there are other products that benefit skin damaged by environmental insults. Our Reparative Creams and Lotions with glycolic acid and alpha-lipoic acid repair cellular damage. Retinol (Vitamin A) contains both rejuvenating and antioxidant properties … Our Rejuvenating Retinol Cream and Lotion neutralize free radicals created by sun damage.
Be an Educated Consumer
- Make sure your skincare products have an appropriate active ingredient. Notice many products substitute acetates, esters, or aldehyde variants which decrease product benefit.
- Check the concentration of the active ingredient in a product as well as the pH most effective for that product.
- Don’t be fooled by imposter products that “over promise and under deliver.” It will quickly become clear that long words and high prices don't guarantee a good, effective skincare product.
- Check with your dermatologist or licensed esthetician for personalized recommendations.
- Have a daily skincare regimen.
Encourage your clients to repair existing environmental damage while protecting against future exposure so they can achieve the best results possible!